Micross

Abstract Preview

Here is the abstract you requested from the IMAPS_2008 technical program page. This is the original abstract submitted by the author. Any changes to the technical content of the final manuscript published by IMAPS or the presentation that is given during the event is done by the author, not IMAPS.

Back-up paper for Ceramic, LTCC session: Benchmarking of 96% Alumina Substrates for Thick Film Hybrids
Keywords: alumina substrates, hybrid circuitry, thick film
Alumina substrates have been the foundation of hybrid circuitry for over fifty years. Presently, there are multiple substrate suppliers supporting hybrid technology. Each supplier has proprietary methods for manufacturing their products that result in differences in the fired microstructure of the substrates. 96% alumina is the most commonly used substrate, and this particular composition leaves a 4% margin of variation in the chemical make up from each supplier. Data presented in this paper reflect possible differences between suppliers that affect thick film properties when applied to the substrate. Demands from customers may require the use of more than one substrate vendor, and caution must be taken that fired film properties on different substrates may not be identical. The focus of this evaluation is the variation of substrates; no optimization of paste formulations or processing conditions was included in this study. This paper will focus on the affects of the fired properties of precious metal conductors, such as adhesion, solderability, and conductivity values. Additionally, a comparison of commonly recognized properties of substrates, surface roughness and porosity, is presented. Although this paper will primarily focus on the values and characteristics previously listed, other fired film properties may be affected.
Dean Buzby, Technical Service Engineer
Heraeus, Inc.
West Conshohocken, PA
USA


CORPORATE PREMIER MEMBERS
  • Amkor
  • ASE
  • Canon
  • EMD Performance Materials
  • Honeywell
  • Indium
  • Kester
  • Kyocera America
  • Master Bond
  • Micro Systems Technologies
  • MRSI
  • NGK NTK
  • Palomar
  • Plexus
  • Promex
  • Qualcomm
  • Quik-Pak
  • Raytheon
  • Specialty Coating Systems